6-21-12
My
poor belly is scattered with bruises of every color - black, blue, purple,
green - and speckled with reddish-purple dots pinpointing each injection
shot. It looks as if I have vampire
bites along my spare tire and as though (as Chrissy fittingly jokes) a Smurf
has been throwing punches at my belly!
Believe me, not a pretty sight!
My first day on the beach exposing the rainbow of colors on my belly, in
my two piece, was a little embarrassing...but I'm over it now. Clexane, a drug to control antibodies running
rampant in my body that prevents embryos from implanting is the culprit for all
the bruises and pricks. It's a chubby,
little syringe with an apparent potent and lasting needle.
Chrissy
and I walked around the block to the clinic and after settling into the exam
room, Anna, the nurse, and another woman, whom Anna introduced as a trainee
entered. The trainee performed the
sonogram on me, which led to a prolonged state of discomfort as she maneuvered
the probe like a joystick throughout my uterus on a treasure hunt for my eggs -
literally speaking, haha. Once found and
measured, the final count was 6 eggs that are viable for the taking. There could even be more on the actual day.
After
the sono, Chrissy and I returned to Anna's office to discuss the changes to my
medication and to schedule the retrieval, as the eggs all measured 18mm and
over - the desired size. Most importantly,
Anna gave me the final meds I would need to take before the retrieval,
including a syringe containing a drug to finalize the maturation of the eggs to
be taken exactly at 8pm that evening, two different types of pills to assist
in controlling hormones and antibodies from attacking the embryo and preventing
it from implanting and finally, pills to help fight possible infection due to
the invasive procedure.
After
the rundown of the meds, Anna explained I would need to fast Friday night and
return Saturday morning for the egg retrieval.
The procedure is expected to last 15-20 minutes; all the while I will be
under anesthesia. Since I will need
about 1 1/2 hours to recover, Anna suggested Chrissy come back to fetch me
around 9:30am. With my drugs in hand and
a sense of overwhelming anxiety brewing within, we were on our way.
Luckily,
the only thing we had scheduled for the day was the beach, so I had a lot of
time to decompress, relax and wrap my head around the meds schedule - when to
take what, how often, how much, with food or not, etc. I've just about got that all down, but I'm
still trying to fight the nervous and anxious feelings revolving around the
actual procedure. What worries me most
is "going under." Forget the fact
that they'll be extracting multiple eggs from my uterus! No, what worries me the most is being put
down with anesthesia! Go figure! I think seeing the women two days ago at the
clinic, post-procedure, waking from their beds and walking out from behind the
curtains looking like zombies had a lasting effect on me.
Not
to worry, I will get through this. I'm
happy to be doing this somewhere as relaxing as Barbados and to not have a care
in the world, in terms of work, correcting papers and the regular hustle and
bustle of home life. Tomorrow is another
free day for Chrissy and I. We plan to
of course, go to the beach and hit up the "Fish Fry" in a town along
the coast - apparently the "thing" to do on a Friday night. I plan to eat real good to last me all
evening and the next morning! I won't
get to eat again until after the procedure on Saturday - which will most likely
be the next opportunity I'll have to blog!
Until then...
No comments:
Post a Comment